Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Blog 1-Prejudice, Stereotyping and Aggression

I have chosen this as my topic for blog 1 and while I have only done minimal research for it so far (sorry James), I concluded from what I have read that it is a vicious cycle. An parent stereotypes a group which leads to a prejudice, an incident occurs involving this group and then we aggression towards this group. A child witnesses these stereotypes and also develops a prejudice against this group and therefore the cycle continues, down the line through generations. But how do we stop it? Can we stop it? Do we start with the child and try to educate them to think freely and past these prejudices' through contact with this group? Or do we educate the adult, the same way or do we attempt a community approach, in educating both groups about each other's cultures, histories, their futures etc? I think this blog is really going to take a lot of my time in trying to answer these questions for myself and the questions for the assessment.

2 comments:

James Neill said...

Hi Jules,
This blog topic may look a little daunting at this stage in part because the material hasn't yet been covered in lectures and reading. So, take a peek ahead - I've I've posted the Lecture 4 Aggression notes and a list of Aggression Keywords. I'm still working on the Prejudice Keywords. You can use these as a kind of 'checklist' for thinking through possible causes. You are spot on I think with the 'vicious style'. I've started to view phenomena such as genocide as 'perfect storms' of social psychological elements. This is partly why concept mapping has been included, to encourage you to visualise the possible elements and their interactions. The Week 5 drop-in tut is a good time to come along if you would like a hand.

Unknown said...

Sociologists sometimes speculate that sexual offenses are related to the process of sex-role stereotyping of the female while simultaneously over-reacting in the form of macho behavior. In order to determine the validity of this proposed relationship, a series of paper and pencil attitude tests were administered to three populations of men.
==========================
harry
Drug Alcohol Rehab